History of
Carson  Lodge #132


William Carson, his wife, Seletha, their sons, Robert, Lafayette and Thomas, their daughter, Mattie and his stepson, Martin Racer came to Montgomery County, Kansas with a wagontrain from Iowa in 1870. They spent the winter at Radical City, near Independence, Kansas. In the spring of 1871 they bought 160 acres about 1/2 mile south of Elk City and built a house.

According to Iowa Grand Lodge records, William Carson took his First Degree at Lodge #106 at Martinsburg, Iowa on April 13, 1859 and his Second Degree on May 10, 1859. The date when he received his Third Degree is not known.

Due to ill health, William Carson never served as an officer in the lodge, but was very instrumental in helping get it chartered. He died on December 29, 1875 and was buried on their farm. Later his grave was moved to Oak Hill Cemetery at Elk City. There is still a Carson family cemetery located on their farm.

His wife, Seletha was the first Worthy Matron of Myrtle Chapter Order of Eastern Star when it was organized in 1876. The chapter was discontinued a short time later.

Their daughter, Mattie was the first Worthy Matron of Prosperity Chapter #134 when they received their charter on May 11, 1893. Later she married Doctor Robert Davis and they moved to Independence. She was elected Worthy Grand Matron of the Grand Chapter of Kansas in 1918. She was later elected Grand Treasurer. In 1937 she and her husband presented the Davis Jewels to Prosperity Chapter. They have been worn each year by the Worthy Matron and Worthy Patron during their year in the East.

William Carson has a great great grand-daughter who is currently a member of Prosperity Chapter.

The members of Carson Lodge #132 wish to thank Brother Albert Racer, great grand son of William Carson for the Msonic information.

Carson Lodge #132 was chartered October 15, 1873. The first officers were J. W. Bell Master, J. B. Clark Senior Warden, W. S. Hough Junior Warden, Louis Clogston Treasurer, George Sherman Secretary, E. T. Walker Senior Deacon, J. M. Wilkerson Junior Deason and J. P. Swatzell Tyler. Other charter members were William Bond, William Carson, Samuel Clark, George Christman, Rudolph Myer and L. Oswald.

The lodge has owned four buildings and have met in several other locations. The newest building was dedicated October 1, 2000. It is a spacious building, 60′ x 100′ with a beautiful temple, large dining room and kitchen.

Article written by Wesley Hogan 32 degree Past Master & Trustee of Carson Lodge #132 & Past Patron of Prosperity Chapter #134 Order of the Eastern Star.